Money Writer (Contract)
We’re hiring a Money Writer. This is a contract position that is expected to work EST time hours. This is a five-month-long contract.
About our team and what we’ll build together
This role will contribute to our mission of helping millennial women make smarter money decisions. You'll be responsible for pitching, reporting, writing, and fact-checking both timely and evergreen money content for our newsletters, site, and other platforms. The ideal candidate is well-versed in money news and personal finance topics, comfortable with tight deadlines, and can commit to a five-month-long contract.
How you’ll contribute to our mission
- Translate financial jargon and break down complex money topics using theSkimm’s unique voice and editorial approach
- Produce a consistent output of financial content, from evergreen explainers on investing, budgeting, and saving to timely explainers on how the news affects your money
- Own multiple stages of the content creation process, from researching, pitching, and reporting to fact-checking and publishing
- Maintain and utilize contacts with experts to secure exclusive interviews on a range of personal finance topics, from paying down credit card debt to traveling on a budget
- Curate and write about the most important financial news affecting millennial women, from rising mortgage rates to the evolving job market
- Work with cross-functional partners to maintain a cohesive voice and style for financial content across all Skimm platforms
- Pitch and help execute fresh ideas to bring financial content to life through email, social, video, audio, and web
You’re ready for this! Here’s a bit more about what we’re looking for
- 3+ years of experience in financial writing
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investing, and personal finance
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Ability to create actionable content with a specific target audience in mind
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work autonomously
- Experience in a fast-paced environment with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Ability to self-motivate and be a team player across multiple departments
- Passionate about theSkimm's mission and ability to write in theSkimm's voice
What would set you apart
- Experience with financial content targeting millennial women
- Experience working on newsletters
- Experience evaluating and/or reporting content performance
The expected rate for this role is between $40/hr for 30 hours a week. We’ll consider a variety of factors when determining compensation including an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
Our story, Skimm’d
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Everyday we’re breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today our ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, three top-rated podcasts: “Skimm This,” “9 to 5ish with theSkimm” and “Pop Cultured with theSkimm,” theSkimm mobile app, virtual course series SkimmU, and Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred one million voting-related actions across the last three election cycles, and it's #ShowUsYourLeave movement, creating transparency and change for Paid Family Leave in the U.S.
Learn more about us and our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a contract role based in New York, NY with flexibility for fully remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We have a hybrid environment and ask that full-time employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York and will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations and will also require additional boosters, and will always follow CDC and NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
*Any correspondence from our team will come from a @theskimm.com email account!