We’re hiring a Data Engineer.
About our team and what we’ll build together
We’re looking for an experienced Data Engineer and mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Data Engineer who will help solidify and expand our pipelines and maintain our data warehouse. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love and which can be improved, and which product and marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside analysts, product, marketing, and other teams to define new data collection components and measurement schemes that support each new product and feature.
How you’ll contribute to our mission
- Create and maintain data pipelines to provide insights and drive business decisions
- Establish theSkimm’s data warehousing strategy (ex. Kimball, Data Vault, etc.)
- Maintain theSkimm’s data infrastructure on our AWS accounts
- Collaborates with analytics and business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering data-driven decision making across the organization.
- Write unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, and documents work
- Implement processes and systems to monitor data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
You’re ready for this! Here’s a bit more about what we’re looking for
- 3+ years of industry experience measuring product performance and user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, and others.
- Experience implementing BI reporting tools such as Looker
- Experience interfacing with engineers, product managers and analysts to understand data needs
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons, SDKs, APIs including Google Analytics, Amplitude, Braze, email service providers
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation and procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy and detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication and trust
- Understanding of the typical metrics a subscription and advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification is a plus
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, CircleCI, Serverless) is a plus
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission is a plus
The expected annual base salary for this role is $125,000-$135,000. We’ll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
Why our employees love working here
We are mission driven and values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world and the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose and allows us to provide useful information succinctly and contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work and our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand and takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each and every day.
We put you and your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Encouraged time off on your birthday and Skimm’versary
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans and commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into an Empower 401(k) plan starting on your first day and employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year Skimm’versary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering and surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building and fertility benefits
- Flexible and broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company “time off” during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our executive team
- Employee Resource Groups
- Annual employee award ceremony to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs and activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, off-sites, and wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office and remote, to connect and have fun
Your career and development are a priority:
- Annual learning and development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners and colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance and planning
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimm’d
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Every day we’re breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, B2B marketer’s newsletter The SKM Report, “9 to 5ish with theSkimm” podcast, theSkimm mobile app. We also house Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content, and our in-house creative agency SKM Lab, which conceptualizes, develops, and produces innovative solutions and content for brands to engage with generations of informed women. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred more than two million voting-related actions across the last four election cycles. We have mobilized hundreds of companies to join our #ShowUsYourLeave movement, which has created transparency and pushed for progress for Paid Family Leave in the U.S. And we’re empowering women to take agency of their lives and control of their futures through our State of Women initiative, grounded in a study conducted by The Harris Poll.
Come join us!
Learn more about us and our other opportunities here.