Senior Editor, News
We’re hiring a Senior Editor, News, to join our team. This is a full-time hybrid New York City based position.
About our team and what you'll be working on
theSkimm is looking for a sharp senior editor to lead its core editorial product, the Daily Skimm newsletter. The ideal candidate is a seasoned journalist with demonstrated talent in and love of writing, curating, and editing news, has a strong command of how news stories impact women, and has exceptional editorial and news judgment.
This person will need to be a thoughtful and detailed-obsessed line-editor who deeply understands theSkimm’s voice. This role sits on our editorial team and reports to theSkimm’s Editorial Director, News.
What you'll be doing
- Oversee all aspects of the Daily Skimm newsletter, targeted at millennial women
- Work closely with the writers and editors to produce the daily newsletter. You will edit, occasionally rewrite, and provide feedback on their work
- Run daily pitch meetings, set the newsletter lineup, and assign stories
- Manage and mentor a team of editors and writers
- Make editorial decisions around how we cover stories and how we navigate complex topics, with an eye for precision, nuance, and sharp writing
- Serve as key point of contact for the newsletter, working with the wider editorial team and other departments across the company
What we’re looking for
- 7+ yrs experience as a journalist working in a newsroom setting
- 1+ years in a manager/editor role
- A love of news and of explaining complex stories
- Sharp news judgment and the ability to curate a newsletter for our target audience
- Excellent management and communication skills
- A strong eye for fact-checking, research, and data analysis
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- A team mindset and a love of creative collaboration
- Someone with a knowledge of the newsletter landscape, with an eye for product innovation
What would set you apart
- Experience writing in a particular brand voice
- A strong sense of humor
- Fluency in data analysis
The expected annual base salary for this role is $105,000-115,000. We’ll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
About the office
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We have a hybrid environment and ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open.
Why our employees love working here
We are mission driven and values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world and the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose and allows us to provide useful information succinctly and contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work and our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand and takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each and every day.
We put you and your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Encouraged time off on your birthday and Skimm’versary
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans and commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into an Empower 401(k) plan starting on your first day and employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year Skimm’versary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering and surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building and fertility benefits
- Flexible and broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company “time off” during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our executive team
- Employee Resource Groups
- Annual employee award ceremony to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs and activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, off-sites, and wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office and remote, to connect and have fun
Your career and development are a priority:
- Annual learning and development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners and colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance and planning
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimm’d
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Every day we’re breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, B2B marketer’s newsletter The SKM Report, “9 to 5ish with theSkimm” podcast, theSkimm mobile app. We also house Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content, and our in-house creative agency SKM Lab, which conceptualizes, develops, and produces innovative solutions and content for brands to engage with generations of informed women. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred more than two million voting-related actions across the last four election cycles. We have mobilized hundreds of companies to join our #ShowUsYourLeave movement, which has created transparency and pushed for progress for Paid Family Leave in the U.S. And we’re empowering women to take agency of their lives and control of their futures through our State of Women initiative, grounded in a study conducted by The Harris Poll.
Come join us!
Learn more about us and our other opportunities here.