Business Awards Producer (Contract)
WaitWhat is creating the most valuable independent portfolio of premium content IP that elevates human potential.
Downloaded more than 130 million times, WaitWhat’s media properties have defined new genres in the areas of business (Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman and Rapid Response with Bob Safian), wellness (Meditative Story) and creativity (Spark & Fire). In everything WaitWhat creates, it aims to share hard-won wisdom from the most iconic people of day, to newer voices, sparking curiosity and helping us live at the top of our potential.
WaitWhat’s approach to content is unique in the industry, with a passion for inventing new business models and building inventive partnerships.
About the role:
Since its launch in 2017, Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman has grown into a vital listen for business leaders, thanks to its groundbreaking format. In each episode, LinkedIn co-founder and Greylock partner Reid Hoffman demonstrates how companies grow from zero to a gazillion, testing his theories with legendary guests. Guests have included Spotify’s Daniel Ek, Airbnb’s Brian Chesky, Imagine Entertainment’s Ron Howard, Warby Parker’s Neil Blumenthal & Dave Gilboa, Netflix’s Reed Hastings, POTUS Barack Obama, Microsoft’s Satya Nadella, Starbucks’ Howard Schultz, Spanx’s Sara Blakely and Canva’s Melanie Perkins, among many others.
Masters of Scale will launch an annual awards program, tentatively called the Breakthrough Business Awards, to acknowledge and celebrate businesses and the leaders building them in a unique way, differentiated from other business awards programs in the marketplace. Recognition will range across industries and acknowledge both scale leaders and those nascent in their scale journey, with a set of clearly defined categories and criteria. The goal is to grow the audience and build awareness, further cementing Masters of Scale as synonymous with entrepreneurial excellence.
The Business Awards Producer will lay the foundation for this program, including outlining the key awards categories to recognize, creating the application process and criteria, and defining the review process, committee and timeline. The aim is to launch this program no later than April 2024, with awards announced in October 2024.
- Create a Masters of Scale awards program model, based on a landscape business awards report prepared by WaitWhat and supplemented by individual research, to inform the white space opportunity and differentiate the approach.
- Propose the number of awards categories and naming conventions, infusing elements inherent to the Masters of Scale podcast, like mindsets to scale and theories of entrepreneurship.
- Build a timeline that has the awards program launching no later than April 2024, with enough time to solicit nominations and applications, review submissions via a judging committee, and make announcements in October 2024.
- Serve as project manager for the development of the Masters of Scale business awards website, working with WaitWhat’s product and design teams to develop, build and launch the microsite, allowing for submissions.
- Author award categories, titles and key program messaging to be used in all outreach communications synonymous with the program, ranging from the Masters of Scale newsletter, to a pre-roll promotion on the podcast, to digital media campaigns.
- Make recommendations for program enhancements and extensions, such as the prizes awarded and opportunities to create community among the award winners themselves.
- Lead the awards application judging, including creating a review process and assembling a committee to ensure that final decisions are equitable and unbiased.
- Work alongside the WaitWhat team and external media agency to develop the press and announcement strategy, providing visibility and exposure for the awards program itself, and for the first year finalists and winners.